Does a photon interact with gravity waves?

I think it does, but I’m not certain if the question has been really studied. When looking at the pattern of redshift in light from distant galaxies, the assumption is that the photon and it’s wave have only interacted with the medium through which they have traveled. It has stretched and thus their wavelengths have stretched and they become more red over time. For billions of years that light has traveled otherwise unimpeded by the vast amount of matter that populates the empty reaches of space and strikes our detectors delivering it’s payload of ancient information to it’s final destination. This seems to be a reasonable enough description of what we observe, however I don’t like assumptions.
Since we accept that the photon is effected by the medium, and gravity waves are the medium, it stands to reason there is at least the possibility that photons interact with gravity waves.
When Einstein found his equations describe an expanding universe he rejected the idea, when redshift was observed as a function of distance he disregarded his reservations and embraced the idea. His equations also showed that light would shift to the red end of it’s spectrum if it passed by a large gravitational body. This again demonstrates an inherent relationship between photons and gravity.
The reason I’m curious about this is because other correlations seem to arise all on their own if it does. The success of the LIGO has all but proven gravity waves of very high energy are extraordinarily common. Perhaps as many as half a dozen every few months. Which would imply gravity waves of lower energies are likely equally as common if not moreso but this has yet to be proven given the limits of current technology.
Now extrapolating that out a photon travelling through open space for ten billion years will interact with or at the minimum pass directly through a massive amount of gravitational energy over time. It will encounter a huge huge number of large gravity waves that we know of and perhaps equally as many that we don’t.
This means that the further we look back in time, the more chances any single photon has had to interact with gravity waves. If that interaction were to make just the tiniest nearly imperceptible shift in it’s spectra and it happened a dozen times a year for billions of years there would have to be a measurable effect.
All of that gravity that a photon has to travel through, all of those expelled buckles in space, would mean the intervening space between us and a distant galaxy isn’t an empty fabric, but rather would act on the photon like a gravitational body whose weight was the sum total of the accumulation of all the gravity waves it passed through. That total would be it’s Z.
I was wondering if photons interact with gravity waves, because if they do then redshift could be caused not by expansion, but by the weight of space given to it by the collision of massive bodies littered throughout it’s expanse expelling their gravity into the cosmic void. Rendering space itself like a large gravitational body any photon has to pass by and through to get wherever it goes.

The question remains does a photon interact with gravity waves?
Perhaps the answer is self evident, but I’ll go out on a limb and say yes, I think it does…

Sounds like rubbish to me. Please apply any equations that you have made up to the binary neutron star merger. I shall await your answer with…zero expectation. In other words; you are talking nonsense. How about backing it up with actual science, rather than word salad? Just once. Yes? MOND is dead, if you had not noticed. Please restrict your comments to addressing that failure, rather than piling woo upon woo.

Does it? I’m not so sure. I’m more a science philosopher and writer than a mathematician, word salad for me is breakfast, lunch and dinner and you don’t have to eat it don’t want to. Here are two proven scientifically accepted truths, gravity redshifts light and gravity waves are extremely common. I don’t need equations for that. From the limited amount of data we have it can be reasonably inferred a beam of light traveling across the universe hits between 10 or 20 strong waves of gravity that we know of per year. Here’s a fun quote from the arxiv: "

Local merger rates of double neutron stars. The first detection of gravitational waves from a merging double neutron star (DNS) binary implies a much higher rate of DNS coalescences in the local Universe than typically estimated on theoretical grounds."

So yes there is reason to ask the question, and scientific reason to assume the answer isn’t understood. Im not trying to prove anything I’m just asking the question. If you think it isn’t possible give me some science to back it up but I’m willing to wager a shiny nickel you can’t. If you want to talk about the merger rates of binary neutron stars we’ve got all day, but if you want to have some real fun let’s talk about the Coulomb field propagation velocity or the Tully-Fisher relationship and the apparent implications of both, because salads what I make. If you want something else be sure bring it and pack it in Tupperware. You know…so it says fresh…:slight_smile:

I don’t see what the quote you included has to do with anything. I’ve read the paper, and it is irrelevant to the subject.
As for the rest, it has already been addressed by Brian, and also within the scientific literature. Gravitational waves can themselves be used to measure the Hubble constant;

A gravitational-wave standard siren measurement of the Hubble constant
LIGO Collaboration
https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v551/n7678/full/nature24471.html

So no, GWs will not have an effect on cosmic redshift measurements. Unless you want to invent something that affects both the GWs and light to the same degree?

I’ll take that nickel, thanks.